We will only have one 42nd Anniversary so mark your calendars and plan to be there. We encourage Troopers to bring their families. Bob Murrill (1/508) is coordinating one of the most fantastic gatherings that you will probably ever experience. For those who have never been to one of our events, it is a time to enjoy friendship, tell some lies and renew or make new friends. We had our 40th in the same hotel and it was fantastic!!!! We are also working on some special guests but nothing has been finalized at this point.
NASCAR has pulled a slick one on us. We originally scheduled our event so there would be no conflict. After we had everything arranged, they changed their schedule so this puts extra pressure on us to make early hotel and travel reservations.
The Hotel Dallas Fort Worth Hilton Lakes Executive Conference Center is a beautiful, high class hotel located next to historic Grapevine, Texas. Check out this website (www.hiltondfwlakesecc.com)!!! The hotel is bending over backwards to accommodate us and I guarantee that you will not be disappointed! Here’s what it looks like at this point:
- Rates Deluxe Rooms are $92 per night + taxes. Rate is good for a limited number of rooms on Thursday (15th). A major block on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Normal rates are $207 – $225 during the week so you get an idea of the kind of place we have no poncho liners on the ground here and you will have to bring your own leeches and mosquitoes as none are supplied!
- Welcome Lunch, Friday Noon: The Austin Ranch. Rick Randazzo and his family and friends are going to treat us to a Shrimp and Crawfish boil.
- Welcome Dinner, Friday Night: The Austin Ranch next to the hotel â€“ meet, greet, renew friendships and make new ones. We will have a Texas style Barbeque and maybe some other surprises. We are planning on a Country Western Band so get you cowboy boots shined up.
- Activities Available (Additional Cost): Spa, 2 Golf courses near the hotel, Horseback Riding, Fishing in a private pond (no charge) etc.
- 82nd Chorus will be invited to perform on Friday and Saturday, dependent upon combat situation and their schedule.
- Hospitality Room is on the first floor of the hotel.
- Magnificent Gala Reunion Dinner,Saturday Night: DJ will play nice dinner music in the hotel ballroom. Jacket & Tie/Tux/Blues/Class A required.
- Free Shuttles to and from the Airport – 10 minutes away. Call 817-481-8444.
- Free Shuttles to the Golf courses and local shopping in historic Grapevine.
- Registration Cost $82 per person, but generous donations are greatly accepted/needed to defray actual costs which will be much higher due to what will be provided to you.
- We need to have an accurate count so don’t be a slacker and wait till the last minute. We only have a limited number of rooms blocked at this point so call 1-800-984-1344 and mention 82nd Airborne-Golden to get this fantastic rate. One night is non refundable should you cancel later. We have just increased the block and rooms are going very fast.
- Room Reservations should be made by January 31, 2010 to assure that you get hots and a cot. The earlier the better as the hotel will start releasing the block after that time.
Send in your $82 registration per person and donations ASAP – that means now!
If you have special needs such as a handicapped accessible room, please let the hotel know when you make your reservation.
- Jingle up your long lost buddies and get them there – no sweat, GI!
- We’ll need volunteers to help with various activities such as sign-in, manning the hospitality suite, picking up supplies, making table arrangements, etc. We’re all getting older so the more hands the better.
- Save up your MPC and mark your calendars – do it now!!
- Start doing pushups etc. so that you are in shape for the 5 mile run that Mike Hood and Dickie Keaton are going to lead each morning at 0-dark thirty. If I’m not there, start without me!
If you were a Military Intelligence guy, that means about 5:30 AM in civilian time . . . just kidding!
- Lastly, if you haven’t renewed your dues, do it now. Complete this membership application or give Rich a call on the horn (804.598.4805) for an application. Virtually everyone has signed up as a life member to cut down on the paperwork. We don’t want to have to chase you down the Candy Stripe for a few bucks . . . but we might!
Hope to see you all soon. Let’s make our 42nd a time for you and your families to remember for many years.
Check back here frequently for updates.
Airborne, All the Way, God Bless Our Troopers and God Bless America!!!
Carl H. Bludau, Chapter Chairman
Richard F. O’Hare, Treasurer